The emission reduction targets apply to a large part of Triodos Bank’s portfolio of loans and investments and Triodos Bank’s own operations. Triodos Bank has opted for the most ambitious target to bring all emissions related to its own operations in line with the scenario limiting global warming to 1.5°C by no later than 2030. For emissions related to Triodos Bank’s loans and investments the target year is 2035.
Science-based targets provide a clearly defined pathway for companies to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, helping prevent the worst impacts of climate change and future-proof business growth. Targets are considered science-based if they are in line with what the latest climate science deems necessary to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement: limiting global warming to well-below 2°C above pre-industrial levels and pursuing efforts to limit warming to 1.5°C.
Jacco Minnaar, Chief Commercial Officer of Triodos Bank: “At a time when climate scientists are giving a final warning to prevent a climate catastrophe, it is crucial that the financial sector aligns its portfolio with the latest scientific insights into limiting global warming to 1.5°C. For Triodos Bank, the validation of our near-term emission reduction targets as science-based is an important step in our journey towards net-zero and a confirmation that our near-term targets are in line with the Paris Agreement.”
Broader net-zero ambition
The validated science-based near-term targets are part of Triodos Bank’s broader ambition to be net-zero as early as possible, at the latest by 2035. To reach this goal, the greenhouse gas emission intensity of all Triodos Bank's loans and investments will be greatly reduced. The remaining emissions will be balanced or ‘inset’ by investing considerably in nature projects that remove greenhouse gases from the air. Triodos Bank has committed to also set long-term science-based targets for this broader ambition.
Triodos Bank has adopted a holistic emissions reduction approach and wants to reduce emissions, whilst also considering for instance broader ecosystem health and social inclusion of all people. This is reflected in the four components underlying Triodos Bank’s validated emission reduction target:
- Triodos Bank aims for a significant reduction in emissions from its business lending, primarily property-based emissions. Triodos Bank will do this via engagement with its customers, possibly using incentives, while providing tools and our network. In addition, it promotes the use of bio-based materials in new construction and renovation.
- Triodos Bank maximises its contribution to the energy transition of the built environment and lower carbon intensity of its portfolio. With a long history of supporting clean energy, Triodos Bank will finance new green energy infrastructure – generation, storage, green jobs and a path to a fully sustainable renewable energy sector.
- Triodos Bank aims for all its investments (listed and private debt and equity) to reduce in carbon intensity. It will collaborate with others and will stimulate private-public cooperation.
- A substantial amount of Triodos Bank’s future portfolio will consist of new natural capital, nature-focused finance and regenerative organic agriculture, sequestering carbon and supporting biodiversity.
Triodos Bank’s validated science-based targets
Scope 1 and 2: Triodos Bank commits to reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions 63% by 2035 from a 2020 base year.
Triodos Bank commits to increase annual sourcing of renewable electricity from 98.6% in 2020 to 100% by 2030.
Scope 3 category 1-14: Triodos Bank commits to reduce absolute scope 3 categories 1-14 GHG emissions 63% by 2035 from a 2020 base year.
Scope 3 Portfolio Targets
Headline target: Triodos Bank portfolio targets cover 43% of its total investment and lending by total assets under management as of 2020.1 As of 2020, required activities made up 38% of Triodos’ total investment and lending while optional activities made up 31% and out of scope activities made up 31%.
Scope 3 asset class level targets
|Electricity generation project finance
|Sector Decarbonisation Approach
|Triodos Bank commits to continue only financing renewable electricity projects through 2030.
|Commercial real estate
|Triodos Bank commits to reduce its scope 3 GHG emissions from commercial real estate within its private debt and equity portfolio 70% per square meter by 2035 from a 2020 base year.
|Triodos Bank commits to 27% of all other corporate lending by gross carrying amount, setting SBTi validated targets by 2025, and 82% by 2035.
|Listed equity, private equity, corporate bonds
|SDA, Portfolio Coverage
Triodos Bank commits to reduce its scope 3 GHG emissions from the pulp & paper sector within its listed equity and corporate bond portfolio 45% per ton paper and board produced by 2035 from a 2020 base year.
Triodos Bank commits to reduce its scope 3 GHG emissions from the transport - vehicle manufacturing (PLDV) sector within its listed equity and corporate bond portfolio 44% per vehicle km by 2035 from a 2020 base year.
For all other sectors, Triodos Bank commits to 51% of its listed equity, private equity and corporate bond portfolio by net asset value, setting SBTi validated targets by 2025, and 82% by 2035.
1) These targets and coverage % do not include third-party asset management activities. Third-party asset management activities made up 4% of total investment, lending, and asset management activities by total assets under management.
A full overview of all asset classes can be found here.