The non-governmental organisation INSOTEC was set up in the 1980s to offer business support and technical training to small businesses in the rural areas of Ecuador. Over the last 30 years, INSOTEC has developed into a microfinance institution that provides loans as well as training and business consultancy. Half of its client base is made up of small farmers while the other half are small-scale businesses in provincial towns. Given the organisation's strength and solid growth, Hivos-Triodos Fund has provided INSOTEC with loans.
KEY INDICATORS as of 31 December 2014:
- number of loan clients: 15,595
- percentage female clients: 41%
- percentage rural clients: 79%
- average loan amount: EUR 1,317
- number of savings clients: -